Thursday, September 11, 2008

George Siemans Ideas

As I was reading the article by George Siemens, I thought of what my high school science teacher told me, which is that “50% of your intelligence comes from your ability to find information.” At the time, I did not understand what he was saying. His idea makes it seem as if intelligence can reside outside of a person’s mind.

After I read the article, I realized that knowledge can actually be in the technology we use or in the social learning networks. This idea, which was developed through Connectivism, was quite profound for me. Still, the idea that we might one day design a learning environment that is heavily depended on the “material” knowledge outside of us worries me, so this prompts the question of how much should we develop our knowledge database by weaving them to the new technologies and social learning networks. Will reliance on learning cues outside of us be as effective as those that we develop internally? What happens when we as humans can no longer think for ourselves, but that our overall knowledge is a mere product of the social infrastructure?

1 comment:

Walter said...

I belive your high school teacher was correct, although I would add that your ability to sort or filter the information you find is equally vital, and to do that you usually need some basic knowledge of the subject about which you are seeking information. Your internal thought process guides your sorting and filtering---is this the info I need or not?

Knowledge---if you define it as a digest of a learner's experience or as a summation of principles or practices---can reside in any place in which it can recorded for others to view, read, or hear.

How is the "knowledge" discussed by Siemens different from the knowledge contained in a library?