Monday, September 29, 2008

How I like Mr. Bonk's ideas

At the meeting on September 25, 2008, we listened to the lecture by Mr. Bonk from Indiana State University who explained to us the nature of open source in education. He struck me when he said that the second university to have open source was Vietnam National University due to its desire to keep experts within the country.

Mr. Bonk provided us with different visions of education. The most intriguing idea he raised was that my current fellow classmates will be those whom I will rely for information in the distant future. So far I have not yet seen any sign that I will rely on my future classmates for knowledge (not that it’s a bad thing); perhaps his idea is more plausible if we all plan to enter academia, as oppose to working in an applied field.

What I like the most about his idea is that someday people will get the choice to pick their classmates in any country they want. Personally, I would love to be able to pick classmates who have similar interest and personality as I do.

Addendum: After listening to Mr. Bonk's idea, I realized that it is possible that open source will have a positive affect on education. However, I would like to know what are the negative affects of open source in education (besides the minute problem of scholarship for those who already wanted to share their knowledge)? In addition, I would like to know if environment concerns will soon lead us to embrace distance learning, and henceforth the idea that we can pick our own classmates?

1 comment:

Curt Bonk said...

Yes, embracing learning is among the chief goals. Picking classmates and teachers (and the learning environment) is part of the solution. Times are changing! Let's hope anyhow.